Week Six - Officially Overboard
Well, it has been kind of an odd week (as though the previous weeks were 'normal'?). I feel as though I have worked really hard, but have little to show for it...The details I was creating were really adding to the realism of the horse, but at the same time, they were emphasizing the parts of the horse that were not very realistic.
I added more 'hair' to Giuseppe's thin forelock, and I gave his ears some needed definition. I did not want to risk actually carving into the fiberglass, so I built up an edge using the epoxy-clay. This way, I have avoided damaging the ears or creating a weak spot in the sculpture, and I've been able to give the horse a more anatomically correct look.
I really debated whether to add 'eyelids' to the sculpture...Without the correct formation, however, the eyes may look silly once paint is applied. It would be a shame to skip such an important detail at this point in the project.
Last but not least, I formed some 'lips' on the horse's mouth where the edge of the scultpure had been sanded smooth. Now his face is complete...